The school chancellor has announced that in order to give families additional time to apply to kindergarten, the Department is extending the deadline from February 14, 2014 to until Thursday, February 20, 2014. Parents of children who turn five years old this year are eligible to apply.
For more information, please visit the NYC Department of Education website at schools.nyc.org
Families will be able to apply for kindergarten in one of three ways:
- Online using Kindergarten Connect at www.nyc.gov/schools/kindergarten
- In person at a Borough Enrollment Office (8AM – 3PM, Mon-Fri)
- Over the phone by calling 718-935-2400 (8AM – 6PM, Mon-Fri)
All families, including those of students with disabilities, should submit an application in order to receive kindergarten placement.
If you need to apply in a language other than English, please submit your application over the phone or in person. Interpretation services will be provided in approximately 150 languages.
This new single application process will allow parents to rank their options in order of preference, with zones and admissions priorities remaining unchanged. Parents will have the same options and school priorities they have always had, except with a simpler application process. For more information on admissions priorities, please refer to the Introduction to the Elementary School Directory from the NYC Board of Education.
When you apply, you can list up to 20 schools on your application. To apply, you will need the following:
- Child’s name, date of birth
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address (if applicable)
- Information on any siblings who will be in grades K-5 next year, including name, date of birth, current school, race, and OSIS number.
- Child’s curent pre-k (if applicable)
- Child’s native language (if applying to a dual language program)
- The programs you are applying to, in order of your preference.
If you submit a kindergarten application by February 14, 2014, you will receive a placement offer in early April. You can accept your offer by pre-registering at the school in person, providing documentation of your child’s age and proof of residence. For more information on acceptable forms of proof of age and residence, please refer to the Introduction to the Elementary School Directory from the NYC Board of Education.
Students will automatically be placed on the waitlist for any school ranked higher on the application than the offer received. Schools will contact families on the waitlist directly if they can offer the student a placement. Waitlists will close in mid-October.
Click here for more information and to view the NYC DOE Kindergarten Admissions website. For details about Kindergarten Admissions, including everything you need to know about researching schools, submitting an application, and registering your child, please refer to the the Introduction to the Elementary School Directory from the NYC Board of Education.